Bawarchi Biryani Point
6499 CARLISLE PIKE
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Food Safety and Laboratory Services conducted an unannounced retail food inspection on December 11, 2019. As a result of that inspection, and due to the severity of the specific violations the Bawarchi Biryani Point Restaurant was cited as being, “Out of Compliance” with Pennsylvania’s food safety regulations. During this inspection a total of 11 violations were found.
The restaurant’s history with state inspectors is mixed with the Department of Agriculture conducting an unusual 3 regular inspections this year.
- March 9, 2018 following a complaint by the public 7 violations were found a follow-up visit on March 12, 2019 found no violations.
- June 18, 2018 8 violations were found. A June 20 follow-up inspection found no violations
- June 5, 2019- 19 violations, with no violations during the June 7, 2019 follow-up
- September 12, 2019- 17 violations, with 4 non-critical violations at the October 2 follow-up.
The inspector made the following comments in support of the violations found during the inspection:
- Large amount of standing water on the floor near the three-bay sink and hot water heater. (Picture taken)
- Food utensil observed in the handwash sink, indicating uses other than handwashing. (Picture taken)
- Observed a leak under the 2-bay sink in the kitchen.
- The Person in Charge does not demonstrate adequate knowledge of food safety in this food facility as evidenced by this non-compliant inspection.
- Observed dried food residue on the blade of the table mounted can opener. (Picture taken)
- Observed food residue in the onion slicer.
- Floor tiles are damaged and missing in the dishwasher area.(Picture taken)
- Refrigerated ready to eat, time/temperature control for safety food prepared in the food facility and held for more than 24 hours, located in the walk-in cooler, is not being date marked. (Picture taken)
- Observed food being stored directly in grocery bags in the walk-in freezer. Not an approved food grade material. (Picture taken)
- Food in the walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer stored open with no covering. (Picture taken)
- Bowls with no handles are being used as scoops in the bulk ingredient bins.
- Cold water does not work and the handwash sink in the kitchen. Hot water will not completely turn off.
Upper Allen Police say 43 year old woman they say injured family member in assault
Child struck in hit-a-run accident in Upper Allen Township